THE PRINCIPAL THING
Bible Reading: 1Kings 3:4-14
Topic: The Principal Thing
Golden Text: Proverbs 4:5-9 (7)
Other Texts: 1Cor 1:30
From the bible passage, we are able to deduce that
- God gave Solomon a blank cheque to request for what he wanted after he offered sacrifices to him
- When God asked him to make a request, he first thanked God for He had done in the past before making new request.
- It suggests to me that a simple act of worship one day can just turn your life around, so don’t stop worshipping.
- Solomon did not ask for any other thing other than a wise and understanding heart. The fact that he did not ask for any other thing impressed God.
- He acknowledged that Wisdom is the principal thing and that is all he needed to get because in it you have every other thing you need – 1Kgs 3:10-14, Prov. 4:7-9, 3:13-18.
- Wisdom is the principal thing; in all your getting, get understanding – Prov.4:7
- Wisdom is very principal and fundamental but do not forget to acquire understanding i.e. You must endeavour to understand why wisdom is the principal thing.
- What will wisdom do for you? Prov. 4:8-9, 3:13-18
- Wisdom Knowledge and Understanding go together… Prov. 3:19-20
- True Wisdom comes from God – James 1:5
- The people of this world are wise in their own ways but the true wisdom comes from God.
- He has chosen the foolish things of this world to confound the wise -1Cor. 1:27
- “That no flesh would glory in His presence” – 1:29
- Wisdom compared to money – Eccl. 7:11-12
- Wisdom compared to strength – Eccl. 7:19, 9:14-18.
- “The Lord by wisdom founded the earth… Prov. 3:19a”. How do you prosper on earth without the wisdom with which it was founded.
- Wisdom is the correct application of knowledge. So, it means that it is not enough that we know the word of God, it is important to apply it to our day to day activities.
- True wisdom is a total package – Prov. 3:13-18. Why go for pieces?
- Jesus is the Wisdom of God – 1Cor. 1:24,30
- The wisdom of this world is but for a moment. It will never last. That is why it cannot take anyone far.
- We need to be careful of the deceits around all in the name of acquiring wisdom. Jesus is the fullness of God, in him we have all we will ever need – Col. 2:8.
- When Jesus was leaving the world, he promised us His Spirit to remind us what he has said and to tell us the things to come – That’s Wisdom! –John 16:13
- When you have Jesus in you, He directs you in life to make right decisions, at work, at home, in the church, everywhere you go. That’s Wisdom!
- When you have Jesus in you, He gives you power to get wealth. That’s Wisdom! – Deuteronomy 8:18
- When you have Jesus in you, He shows you your purpose for life and guides you to an expected end. That’s Wisdom! – Jer. 29:11
- When you have Jesus in you, He gives you long life. That’s Wisdom! Psalm 91:16
- Jesus is all you need. Get Jesus. That’s Wisdom!
- Till today, Jesus still knocks at the door of your heart. He wants to give your life a meaning! – Prov. 1:20-22a, Matt. 11:28-30
Declaring the truth and justice of the Most High on earth through worship.
Our Mandate is to replicate on every lip, the true worship of the Most High raise the flag, shine the light and speak the word to the dying world.
“Voice”: Refers to unison and singularity of purpose. Though we have many voices, we unite and bring them out together as one voice.
“Truth” signifies the main essence of the mandate – Declaring the truth and justice of the Most High here on earth.
Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds. Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two-edged sword in their hand; To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people; To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron; To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.